Thursday, March 3, 2011

5. My definition about love.

I have been dreading this day since I started this project. I've been thinking about it constantly and I have yet to figure out what I am going to say. Love is probably the hardest thing to understand, the most complicated to explain, but when you feel it you know, and then it all makes sense.

Love.
L. O. V. E.
It can not be summed up in one sentence.

Love is...
affection, adoration, passion, trouble, undeniable, insanity, madness, unpredictable, obsession, sunshine, greatest gift given, feeling of the heart that surpasses all others. It is a glance, a touch, a word. Love is eternal.

What does love do?
has power beyond this world, has power to transform, rules thought and action, ignores rational thought, burns in the heart, surpasses all other desires, neglects everything but the object of it's affection, makes 2 into 1.

Why do we love?
to feel whole, real, needed, accepted, happiness, something more powerful then ourselves. because is it an adventure, it's risky, its scary, but worth it every time.

How do we love?
We love with everything we have. Mind, body, soul. By service, kisses, compliments, gifts, dancing, singing, promises, marriage and families, forgetting ourselves. With time, walks, touches, letters, looks. We love completely.

I love how Yvaine in the movie StarDust explains love,
"You know when I said I knew little about love? That wasn’t true. I know a lot about love. I’ve seen it, centuries and centuries of it, and it was the only thing that made watching your world bearable. All those wars. Pain, lies, hate… It made me want to turn away and never look down again. But when I see the way that mankind loves… You could search to the furthest reaches of the universe and never find anything more beautiful. So yes, I know that love is uncontrollable. But I also know that it can be unpredictable, unexpected, uncontrollable, unbearable and strangely easy to mistake for loathing, and… What I’m trying to say, Tristan is… I think I love you. Is this love, Tristan? I never imagined I’d know it for myself. My heart… It feels like my chest can barely contain it. Like it’s trying to escape because it doesn’t belong to me any more. It belongs to you. And if you wanted it, I’d wish for nothing in exchange – no gifts. No goods. No demonstrations of devotion. Nothing but knowing you loved me too. Just your heart, in exchange for mine.

Love is the scariest thing in the world. Opening your heart to someone, being so vulnerable, entrusting it and hoping that it doesn't get broken. But without taking those chances the pain is worth nothing. Love shouldn't be feared or forced, but natural and real. Love is greater than any negative emotion. It helps us to forgive. It's the only way to forgive.

I have loved and have been loved.
I can tell you that love is different, every time. Very different.
For one, it was passion, trouble, and the "prefect fit"
For the other, it was friendship, understanding, and serving each other.
I loved differently.
And that may be the most wonderful thing of all about love.
It is unique.
It cannot be duplicated. It cannot be forced. Not true love.

:)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You're cute. I love you!

Rachael Papes said...

I like it. It's true. All love is different. I miss you.